Home
Invitation
Organisation
Important Dates
Schedule
Speakers
General Information
Contributions
Sponsors
Accommodation
Gallery
About Kuwait
About KCS
Useful Links
Contact Us
 
 
KCC 2010: About Kuwait

Kuwait's history can be traced back to BC 600 when the Hellens settled in Al-Khazna hill area of Failaka island. Archeologists have unearthed the remains of the ancient Roman Empire from the Failaka Islands.
The name "Kuwait" is a diminutive of an Arabic word meaning "fortress built near water". The word Kuwait came from the small Kout (or castle) of Bin Eree'er who was the prince of Bani Khaled tribe. Tribes came mainly from central Arabia (specifically the region of Nejd), and from northern Arabia.
In 1752 Sabah Bin Jaber from the Al-Sabah family, known as Sabah the First was elected as the ruler (Amir) of Kuwait. Since then, Kuwait is ruled by his decedants without interruption. In January 1899, Kuwait signed an agreement with Great Britain by virtue of which Kuwait became a British protectorate.
In 1938 oil was struck in the Burgan fields. Although, World War II delayed early oil exploitation on a commercial scale, the first oil export started on 30 June 1946.

Kuwait got independence from Great Britain on 19 June 1961. On 11 November 1962, Kuwait's Amir, the late His Highness Sheikh Abdullah Al-Salem Al-Sabah ratified the constitution of Kuwait. Kuwaiti constitution combines aspects of both presidential and parliamentary system of government.


 
  Main Sponsors  
  MOSAL (Ministry of Social Affairs and Labor)
AWQAF (Kuwait Awqaf Public Foundation)
 
     
  Sponsors  
  Equate (Equate Petrochemical Company)
KCCI (Kuwait Chamber of Commerce & Industry)
 
     


  Organizers  
  KCS (Kuwait Chemical Society)
KFAS (Kuwait foundation for Advancement of Science)
IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry)
Kuwait University
KISR(Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research)
PAAET (Public Authority for Applied Education and Training)
 
     
 

All rights reserved Kuwait Conference of Chemistry 2010